And to think the Scary One tried to palm me off with pumpkin seeds…
When being of the Scottish variety the way to my clotted heart is something deep fried.
No, the pumpkin fritter is a favourite of the South Africans. They call them pampoen koekies.
I’m directed here by www.tastyrecipes.sapeople.com where you’ll find this recipe.
- Two cups cooked mashed pumpkin
- One tsp vanilla extract
- One beaten egg
- One cup of self-raising flour
- Two tsps baking powder
- A quarter tsp salt
- One tbles brown sugar
- Oil for frying
Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- 50g castor sugar
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- Drain the cooked pumpkin well
- Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract and mix
- Add the rest and mix to a soft but firm batter
- Place a spoonful of the mixture into the hot oil.
- Fry on one side until golden brown and turn to cook on the other side
- Remove on slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper
- In small bowl combine castor sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over hot fritters before serving
Any kids coming guising around the house though will be getting deep-fried mars bars.
This is Scotland, not South Africa!