Why should the fish and the whales have the seas all to themselves? There, I’ve said it.
If you’ve been missing the big ships on your coast (and, yes, I know we don’t all live on an island) then you’ll be glad to know that our cruise friends have been busy planning for the day they can get back out on the water.
Our friends at Princess Cruises http://www.princess.com have embarked on a £300m product innovation and cruise ship renovation campaign which puts the guest at its heart. As ever.
They are offering us award-winning chef Curtis Stone, Broadway legend Stephen Schwartz and family fun from Discovery and Animal Planet.
Best of all they are offering reduced fares from €584pp on more than 800 voyages departing from December-May 2022 as part of the Princess Sale with seven-night sailings available from €584pp. Open for booking from May 1-June 30, 2020.
Among the sample voyages are:
*A 7-night Scandinavia cruise on Grand Princess, departing November 15, 2021. Sailing round-trip from Southampton, calling in Oslo, Copenhagen, Gothenburg and Kristiansand. Prices from €749pp.
*A 7-night western Caribbean cruise on Caribbean Princess,, departing February 7, 2021. Sailing round-trip from Fort Lauderdale, calling at Princess Cays, Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Prices from @584pp. And again I got a whiff with I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out To Here and want more.
Continental Europe is the great treasure on our doorstep but it is caught in something of a musical time warp.
Walking the Camino I stopped off at a wayside inn where they were tapping their feet to the Falco (who?) song Rock Me Amadeus.
Which is my circuitous way of flagging up the building of river cruise ship Amadeus Cara for next year.
The new cruise ship boasts 73 spacious luxury cabins (17.5m²) and 12 AMADEUS suites (26.4m²).
Yes, you’ll be rolling down the river but you’ll also have plenty to do including:
– Modern fitness area – Hair and massage salon – Panorama Restaurant – The Panorama Bar which offers space for events and talks and where the AMADEUS musicians perform every evening – Lift between decks
The maiden voyage of AMADEUS Cara will be the 8-day Danube Rhapsody cruise from/to Passau at the end of April 2021.
For the remaining season, the cruise ship will be travelling on the Danube to the Black Sea, as well as between Amsterdam and Basel on the Rhine.
Princess Cruises is increasing by six months the Australia and New Zealand season of the 2,670-guest Sapphire Princess.
The ship will now arrive in Australiaon May 1 and sail Down Under for 12 months.
This adds a total of 47 new cruises from five major Australian cities to the season.
The ship was previously scheduled to sail in Asia from May-October.
Sapphire Princess will arrive into Perth (Fremantle) following a multi-million dollar refurbishment. The full season comprises 171 port calls including:
· A10-nightCoral Coast voyage sailing from Perth (Fremantle), visiting West Australia’s coastal destinations such as Broome, Geraldton and Exmouth. DepartingMay 4, 2020.
· A17-nightNorthern Explorer between Sydney and Perth (Fremantle) visiting destinations such as Geraldton and Cairns. Departing Perth (Fremantle)on June 8, 2020
· Roundtrip voyages to Fiji from Brisbane and Sydney including a12-nightFiji cruise sailing from Sydney visiting Dravuni Island and Lautoka. DepartingJune 25, 2020
· Australia Circumnavigation voyages from Sydney, Adelaide and Perth (Fremantle) including an inaugural 28-night Round Australia cruise out of Adelaide.
Visiting Port Lincoln, Kangaroo Island, Port Arthur, Hobart, Sydney, Brisbane, Yorkeys Knob, Alotau, Darwin, Kimberley Coast (Scenic Cruising), Broome, Geraldton, Perth (Fremantle), Margaret River (Busselton) and Adelaide.
Departing from Perth (Fremantle)10 August, 2020
The new cruises are on salefrom Thursday, February 27.
Sapphire Princess will receive MedallionNet WiFifrom June 4, offering guests the fastest Wi-Fi at sea.